By Mary Ashton Mills and Aimee Serafin
Photos courtesy of the Augusta National Golf Club
Think you know the course, the traditions, the statistics and the players who comprise the prestigious Masters Tournament? We’ve updated our Masters quiz to see if you have gone up or down in the ranks.
1. Which holes make up the famous stretch known as Amen Corner at Augusta National Golf Club?
a. 10, 11, 12
b. 11, 12, 13
c. 15, 16, 17
d. 13, 14, 15
2. Though the club won’t divulge which Masters sandwich is the top seller, conventional wisdom points to the:
a. Ham and cheese on rye
b. Egg salad
c. Pimento cheese
3. True or False:
The Augusta National Golf Club logo appears on the left chest pocket and the brass buttons of the famous Green Jacket.
4. Loblolly, Slash and Eastern White are all varieties of what at the Masters?
5. Since what year has the runner-up received a Silver Medal at the Masters:
d. None of the above.
6. The first benches used for patrons of the Masters were made of .
d. Pine logs
7. What signature Masters cocktail is a mix of lemon juice, pineapple juice, vodka and grenadine?
a. Sand Wedge
c. Arnold Palmer
d. Bloody Mary
8. Who holds the record for winning the most Green Jackets?
a. Tiger Woods
b. Jack Nicklaus
c. Arnold Palmer
d. Nick Faldo
9. Beer in the Masters concession tents is sold until:
a. 2 p.m.
b. 3 p.m.
c. 4 p.m.
d. 5 p.m.
10. Which three-time Masters champion said, “I hope I’ll never get too old to want to take part in this event, and I don’t think that I will ever age that much.”
a. Sam Snead
b. Nick Faldo
c. Phil Mickelson
d. Gary Player
11. If there is a tie after 72 holes of play, a sudden-death playoff will begin at what hole?
12. Which Augusta native took home a Green Jacket in 1987?
a. Larry Mize
b. Payne Stewart
c. David Duval
d. Mark O’Meara
13. “Masters casual” means:
a. Khakis and a bow tie
b. Sun dresses, golf shirts and tennis shoes
c. Windbreakers and flip flops
d. Jeans and a button up
14. In March 2020, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office agreed to register this as a trademark in connection to the Green Jacket:
a. The word Masters
b. The jacket material
c. The colors green and gold
d. The style of buttons
15. True or False:
Due to Covid concerns, the Augusta National 2021 Masters only accepted cash as a form of payment for concession stands.
16. Gene Sarazen hit “the shot heard around the world” when he scored a double eagle at this hole in 1935?
17. What was the official name of the tournament in 1938:
a. The Augusta Masters
b. The Masters
c. The Augusta National Invitational
d. None of the above
18. True or False:
When the tournament was suspended from 1943-45 due to WWII, the property was used to raise cows and turkeys for the war effort.
Appears in the April 2022 issue of Augusta Magazine.